Barbecued Gorditas (Pupusas) with Salsa Shrimp and Spicy Slaw
Rich in fiber, antioxidants and protein, this dish will satisfy your cravings with a tangy twist on a traditional dish!
• 1 package Casa Sanchez Foods Gorditas/Pupusas (we used Black Bean)
• 1 container Casa Sanchez Foods salsa (we used Mild Salsa Roja), divided
• ½ lb pre-cooked shrimp
• Fresh cilantro
• Queso fresco
For Spicy Slaw:
• ½ head of cabbage, shredded
• 2 carrots, shredded
• ½ onion, thinly sliced
• 1 jalapeno, thinly sliced
• ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
• 3 Tbsp water
• ½ tsp salt
• 1 tsp brown sugar
• 1 tsp oregano
• 1 tsp red pepper flakes (or more, for added heat)
1. One day ahead of serving this dish, make the slaw (if you care to include this component). Combine cabbage, carrots, onion, jalapeno, vinegar, and water in a large bowl, mixing well. Sprinkle with dry ingredients and toss to cover. Refrigerate overnight.
2. With barbecue on medium-high heat, place gorditas on the grill for 2-3 minutes each side. Remove from heat, set aside. (You can also cook these on the stove or in the microwave).
3. Add one tablespoon olive oil to a skillet over medium heat, add shrimp. Cover with several spoonfuls of Casa Sanchez salsa (about ⅓ of the container), and stir until shrimp are heated through.
4. Place a pupusa on a plate, cover with a spoonful of the salsa, and add several shrimp. Garnish with fresh cilantro and queso fresco. Serve with a side of spicy slaw.